Tuesday, May 22, 2007

We are here


Day One in Ukraine is done.
We are writing at 8pm from A VERY hot internet cafe---so this will be kinda short---
 
Please check out our new pictures at www.martythompson.com/Ukraine.html click onthe photo link (sorry I do not remember the URL
 
We had a wonderful flight from JFK-- Yummy food and drink-- Nice older Ukrainian couple who had no idea how the plane worked (or that you got to actually eat for free!!)
 
Immigration was a pain again-- I always pick the WORST line (3 times in a row)-- I'm not picking anymore--ever. We were in the first 10 people off the plane and we were in the last 20 from TWO planes to get through.. Customs wwas a breeze. The truth is we had no where to be today so it would not have been worth the $50 for VIP service--- just a little frustrating.
 
Max was waiting for us as we came out the door and we got in our taxi (A shiny new Chevy Aveo---go Daewoo!!) The ride downtown was fun--bad traffic so we ended up going the wrong way on the road to get through it all---"it's just the way it's done, officer".
 
We decided to go to the Ukrainian Folk Museum-- a 300 acre spread of relocated farmhouses, churches and out buildings from Ukraine's rich history. Very cool, but actually VERY hot---record heat again today-- 90 degrees. I passed on the Carpaithians (sp?) I hate the mountains with my heel spur.. but the rest was nice. We took public transportation (subway and bus) out and back. Fast and easy and cheap (about 30 cents per person per way)
 
We met up with Attwoods (sorry if we spelled your names wrong) for Dinner at the neat folk restaurant in Schevchenko Park. Their appointment is tomorrow Am at 10-- ours is at noon. How is this for cool. max and I were enjoying a beverage before the rest arrived and we ran into the Big Ukrainian Pop Star OLEG (ugh I can't rememebr his last name). he IS a huge star and yes, we stalked him. (See the pic on the photo page)
 
WHEW not sure we could cram much more into today-- maybe a 20 cent ice cream cone from the Golden Arches.. from the 21st century plane ride to the 16th at the folk museum. we have seen it all!
 
 
see ya soon
 
 
Jim and Mary (proofing my bad typo-ing on the Ukrainian keyboard)
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary & Jim,

This is Nichole from Mary's CF-Adoption group, and I'm here in Ukraine, too! This is funny - I just left a comment on the Attwood's blog and gave them my contact info as I think we have the same facilitator! I hope we'll be able to meet up in Donetsk! Have a wonderful journey!

Nichole Hasse

Anonymous said...

No fair I want to ride in an Aveo!